W.E. Parker: An Author Interview
1) What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
2) What inspired you to become a writer?
When I was around 12 to 13 years of age, my father recommended a book to me: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. After reading that, my imagination sparked and I knew I had to write stories of my own! Keeping true to Hitchhiker’s, my novels always have a humorous side to them no matter how dark they may be in some places!
3) What is the best time of day for you to write?
I like to write mid-afternoon when the morning haze has lifted and my brain feels most awake.
4) How did you come up with your cover design?
I am no graphic expert, so the only proper cover I have at this stage is my cover for the Kindle version of my novel. I am working on getting a cover design going for my print copy, but for now the stock one will have to do!
5) Do you attend or participate in Cons or literary fests? If so, which ones?
I do like to go to Comic Con, last time I dressed up as Raylan Givens from the TV series Justified.
6) Did you receive encouragement from a mentor, family member, teacher, coach…?
I receive a lot of encouragement from my family to get writing and carry on the process.
7) What gives you the most satisfaction in the writing process?
One word: completion!
8) What is the most difficult challenges you face in the writing process?
I find looking ahead too far into the plot very difficult. I like to come up with some of the plot as I go, but I know a good plan goes a long way but said plan isn’t always easy to get down!
9) How many books do you try to read each year?
I try to read more than 2 books a year, that may sound to some as quite a low bar but I find myself being quite picky with what I read. I only read a book when I get a good feeling that it will impact my life or world view in some way. In that sense, I’m not what some would term a ‘casual reader.’
10) Do you read books in your genre, or do you prefer reading other genres?
I enjoy reading historical non-fiction alongside the obvious fantasy and science fiction that lies close to my own works.
11) What is your favorite quote and why?
Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh – Al Swearengen, Deadwood. It’s a catchy quote and definitely rings true in its own cynical way.
12) Villain, hero or “show steeling” side character? Which would you be?
I’d be the side character, but I’m not sure I’d make the cut as a show stealer!
13) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
The name of my novel, and soon to be the ones that follow it, is the Cloudscape Chronicles. Set in the far-flung future on another planet colonised by Earth, the Cloudscape is a low-tech sci-fi world with art deco design. It’s a place of career criminals, mad cults, and corrupt governments. The novel tells the tale of a down on his luck gangster as he embarks on a journey to find a missing girl that soon balloons into a bigger adventure.
14) Do you have a website? If so, what is it?
I don’t currently have a website.
15) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
My Instagram is weparkerbooks_ (the underscore is key!) and my novel is available at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1ZRVZYP/ref=sr_1_1?crid=223UOJ2P9SFP6&keywords=cloudscape+chronicles&qid=1681137583&sprefix=cloudscpe+chronicles%2Caps%2C549&sr=8-1
16) If there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
Nothing except that I hope you give my novel a go, for a low price I’m sure you won’t regret it!