Surviving Mental Illness: An Authors Journey
1) What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
2) How far along are you on your current work-in-progress?
My ninth book is in the very early stages. I have 50 pages written but the story line is decided.
3) Do you prefer writing dialogue, action or other scenes?
I love writing detailed scenes where the character enters a new location or uses beautiful magic.
4) Have you ever taken a course on writing or advertising? If so, which one(s) and how would you rate them?
I took creative writing in High School
5) Was there a pivotal point or experience that impacted your decision to take writing seriously?
It was just something I always knew I would do.
6) Did you ever feel like giving up? If so, how did you overcome that?
Often. Every day I feel sad about my small number of sales. But I remind myself that it’s not like every it author took off in one novel. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be a best seller. It can’t and won’t happen if I give up.
7) What is your favorite part about being a writer?
The pure unbridled creative freedom.
8) How many books do you try to read each year?
I actually don’t read much anymore!
9) Do you read books in your genre, or do you prefer reading other genres?
I definitely love fantasy novels.
10) In your opinion, can a book series be too long?
11) If you could take one item out of any book that you have ever read, what would it be or why?
Does the Magic Tome from my book, THE BURIED KING, count?
12) What is your favorite quote and why?
“I stayed at rock bottom for a while before I realized I could use the rocks around me to build steps to get back up.”
13) What is one book that is currently on your To-Be-Read list?
The entire Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard.
14) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
My poetry collection is as follows:
WHEN I AM SOMEONE ELSE
THREAD AND TWINE
Each of these books have topics around mental illness, addiction and grief. I wrote most of the poems while spending time in a psych ward.
My fantasy novel, THE BURIED KING, was a passion project. I enjoyed the creative freedom.
15) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
16) If there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
Never give up and keep dreaming.