My Blood is My Ink
1) What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
2) What inspired you to become a writer?
I'm one of those that has been writing since I was a kid! But I never finished anything, just started story after story. Then, almost four years ago, I almost lost my life, and so many things came into focus. I couldn't waste any more time because tomorrow was not guaranteed.
3) Which character of yours is your favorite and why?
I'm going to have to say Tabin, my mc's primary love interest in To Bind Fire. His is a love story so tragic, so beautiful in its brokenness, I ponder it late at night when sleep eludes me.
4) Do you prefer writing dialogue, action or other scenes?
Great question! I love to write dialogue because it feels like my characters are telling me what they want to say and I am only giving them voice. I love hearing Iris, Tabin, Mila, and Jacin come to life.
5) What is the one thing you wish you knew at the beginning of your writing journey?
I wish I'd known that you can't lose the joy of it in the process of achieving it. When it becomes a job instead of a passion, take a break. Just giving myself a day loosens up the storytelling strings in my brain and makes room for the passion to return.
6) What is your favorite book and why?
C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia; the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. C. S. Lewis understood that a good story has struggle, hardship to overcome, victory, and a message.
7) Where is your favorite place to read?
On the couch curled under the blanket my grandma knitted, a warm cup of tea in my hand, the woodstove crackling peacefully.
8) What was your favorite childhood book?
It was called Dorothy's Dream, and it was a book about a little girl who shared my name who didn't want to go to bed at night. Books should connect with us on a personal level, at any age!
9) If you had to write in any other genre, what would that be and why?
My second choice to Fantasy would be Dystopian. Beyond that sci fi (I was raised on a healthy diet of Star Trek)!
10) Do you own any interesting ‘bookish’ memorabilia or clothes? If so, what?
I love cosplay, and I've been accumulating costume items to cosplay my characters for a year now. One of the most important people groups in my books, the Traders, wear colorful woven clothing including scarves and glittering jewelry. They love to dance and sing and express their joy outwardly, and cosplaying them is my favorite!
11) What is your best book memory?
Well, reading ACOTAR was pretty epic.
12) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
The series name is Fire Bloods, and the first book, which is complete, is titled To Bind Fire. The second book, which I am writing, is titled, To Bind the Court. There will be a total of 5 books in the series, and each book will be around 90,000 words. Recently I had someone comment that I should combine books one and two, since book one ends on a sad note but book two will end triumphantly; I am inclined to keep them separate books.
To Bind Fire tackles the question, "Why is there pain in the world?", and follows a teenage girl's journey from brokenness to heroism in a fantasy world filled with dragons, fantastical creatures, court intrigue, powerful relics, and more! The book includes the tropes Enemies to Lovers, Slow Burn Romance, Found Family, Good vs Evil, The Secret Heir, and Evil Overlord, to name a few!
To Bind Fire will release on Oct. 26th, 2023 so keep your eyes out!
13) Do you have a website? If so, what is it?
Not yet, but coming soon!
14) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
I'm on Instagram as @emelinefjellauthor and TikTok as @decarlsonauthor. I would love to connect with you there!
15) Is there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
If you love Sarah J Maas' writing style, but wish there was less spice, my books are for you! And don't worry-the romance is powerful, beautiful, and meaningful!