Jeffries Books & an Angel of Romantasy
1) What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
I write YA Fantasy as Zachary Jeffries, Middle Grade SciFi as Z Jeffries, and writing craft nonfiction as Zack Jeffries
2) What inspired you to become a writer?
I’ve always written, whether it was journaling, fanfiction, plays, sketches, etc. my mother was an English teacher and instilled a love of reading in us early. I was drawn to Romantasy from reading Holly Black and Maggie Stiefvater in the 2000s. I love the discover of magic/mythology as a metaphor for reaching adulthood. And who doesn’t remember the whirlwind of emotions that comes with first loves? It’s a time of high emotions, fire stakes, and emotional vulnerability humans really only experience once in a lifetime.
3) How far along are you on your current work-in-progress?
The follow-up to Angel of Fate, Angel of Gods’ End, is in revisions now. It’s the sapphic love story of two unlikely witches taking ownership of their powers in order to fight not only the expectations of previous generations, but everything that has kept them apart.
4) How did you come up with your cover design?
I LOVE my cover for Angel of Fate, and used all similar elements I could, this time focusing on the two New Romantic leads. I was pretty pumped to have a horse on one of my covers for the first time, too! His name is Anthony, and he’s more than just a horse, he’s an integral character.
5) What is your favorite way to connect with readers? (Social media, newsletters or something else)
My favorite way of connecting is in-person events. I sell my books at comic cons and literary events, I volunteer to speak at my local library, and I do public speaking engagements. Talking to a reader who also has aspirations to be a writer is my favorite. I truly believe everyone has the ability to write a story.
6) Do you attend or participate in Cons or literary fests? If so, which ones?
I love small library cons in my area (Chicago suburbs), but I also love manning my table and talking on panels at larger cons, like CapriCon and WindyCon.
7) Did you ever feel like giving up? If so, how did you overcome that?
Only days of the week that end in Y, Lol. I try to focus on the long game. There are so many success stories of authors whose fifteenth book is their first big breakout. I am a novelist and small business owner. Right now, I’m at the point that I’m not adding new money into this business, but it’s also not paying any bills. As long as I can continue to enjoy what I do, grow my reach/readership, and meet my annual metrics, I’m going to keep going. Hopefully, I’ll have a breakout success before book 15, but I’m prepared to get to 25 if I have to.
8) What gives you the most satisfaction in the writing process?
I do love brainstorming, when there is total freedom, and ideas can feel perfect. But when I’m drafting and different story aspects come together and payoff in big moments, that feels amazing.
9) Pick five books that are must-reads in your mind.
I hate to be that guy, but I say everyone is different. So how about this: 1. Reread your favorite childhood book. 2. Read your favorite author’s favorite book. 3. Read one of your parents’ favorite books. 4. Read the highest rated book from a genre you don’t read. 5. Read a recommendation from someone you love.
10) Which book, other than your own, would you like to see turned into a movie or T.V. show?
The Vlad Taltos series is a high fantasy series that started in the 70’s and has something like 19 books in it, not counting spin-offs. Those would make a great TV show. Also, All The Birds In The Sky by Charlie Jane Anders is peak science-fantasy romance and would make one hell of a film.
11) Which book villain would be the hardest to defeat?
King Arthur- his following is strong and his branding is on-point. Imagine fighting an antagonist everyone mistakenly hero-worship
12) How do you arrange your bookshelves? (Color, alphabetical or another method)
Color because my wife and I are both pulling and putting away books, and it’s the quickest and easiest way. It has nothing to do with aesthetics, and everything to do with ease!
13) Villain, hero or “show steeling” side character? Which would you be?
Side character. I’m too goofy to be taken seriously.
14) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
I’m titling this series “Angels of Upstate New York.” The first book is Angel of Fate and the next will be Angel of Gods’ End. The books are standalone Urban Fantasy romances with different mythological beings converging in Lockport, NY, USA.
15) Do you have a website? If so, what is it?
16) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
I’m @Jeffriesbooks on IG, Facebook, Threads, and TikTok.
17) If there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
I LOVE the cross-section of fantasy and romance! I cohost Romantasy Reads, a TikTok Live chat every Monday night, soon to be a podcast! We’re a community of fantasy romance readers finding out next favorite book. Join us!!!