An Interview with debut author Raquel Raelynn, writer of Diverse Sapphic Fantasy
1) Hi there! Let’s start with an easy question. What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
2) What inspired you to become a writer?
I have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I’ve always had a passion for reading and that love translated over to writing. I wanted to create stories that made people as happy as I was when I read other people’s stories.
3) How far along are you on your current work-in-progress?
I’m working on two other books. The Queensmage Trials which is book 1 of a YA fantasy adventure series which is near completion and I am working on the second book in the Fate and Legacy series which comes after my current novel which is out already The Balance of Fates.
4) What is the best time of day for you to write?
Early morning or late night
5) Do you prefer writing dialogue, action or other scenes?
Dialogue and angst/tension scenes
6) What is the hardest challenge in being a writer?
Writing. I have to get out of my own head and push past the days when I have a writing block or doubt. When you’ve been staring at your own work for so long through many edits it can become overwhelming.
7) What is your favorite part about being a writer?
Getting my story out to the world and the joy it brings people. I love reading messages and reviews from people who enjoyed it.
8) What is the one thing you wish you knew at the beginning of your writing journey?
Just do it. Don’t let the fear hold you back and don’t let anyone else influence what you want to write. Write for yourself and tell the story you’re meant to tell.
9) What is your favorite character from any book you have ever read?
Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice or Bree Matthews from Legendborn
10) Where is your favorite place to read?
11) If you had to write in any other genre, what would that be and why?
I plan to write in many genres I have many projects in the works now and in the future
12) If you could live in any “book world” what would that be?
I’m really not sure. Probably a contemporary romance one because there’s less chance of me dying in battle than one of the fantasy books I’ve read.
13) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
The Balance of Fates is my debut book and it is the first in the Fate and Legacy series. It is a Sapphic Fantasy Romance book which follows our main character Lucia Dol’Auclair, a royal witch from a prominent coven. She falls in love with her rival, Adelaide who she is forbidden to be with.
The blurb is: When her grandmother falls ill, Lucia Dol'Auclair has to leave her sheltered life and travel to Eirini Academy of Mystics to compete in the Triune. In three events, she will compete against vampires and werewolves to take her grandmother's place as the guardian vessel of a destructive celestial of magic and prove her worth as heir to her royal coven. But, her heart is pulled in two directions when she falls for her rival, Adelaide, a troublesome vampire who doesn't play by the rules. Lucia is forced to choose between the traditions that hold her coven together and the passion that could tear apart her world.
14) Do you have a website? If so, what is it?
15) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
16) If there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
Raquel Raelynn Simpson is a Black-American writer, born and raised in Washington state, and "The Balance of Fates" is her debut novel. She is the second youngest of ten siblings, a twin, and the proud aunt of many wonderful nieces and nephews. Growing up, Raquel was surrounded by teachers and authors that stoked her love of writing. Teachers are the unsung heroes who have inspired and pushed her to follow her passions, work hard and believe she could do anything so long as she has the hunger to learn and grow. Through the books she read, Raquel found a home and escaped to different worlds when she felt alone. Now, as an adult, Raquel is passionate about writing romance and fantasy books that all people can see themselves in. Her mission is to create books that people can get lost in and find a place to belong when they feel alone, just as she did.