A New Face of Horror Literature
1) What is your Author name; use your Pen name if you have one.
2) What is your genre and what drew you to it?
Horror/thrillers are the genre I prefer to write. I grew up watching scary movies and shows because my dad liked them. I'd watch things like Tales from the Crypt, Childs Play, Jaws, and Nightmare on Elm St. When I discovered how much I like to read, of course I started with scary books.
3) What is the best time of day for you to write?
I used to write mostly at night after my family all went to bed. The last few chapters I wrote in my second book, which is in the works of being edited, I wrote early in the mornings before work. I had more energy then and my writing would flow better. I'd even go to a close by coffee place and sit and write there on weekends. To me there weren't as many distractions as at home. And when I say distractions, I mean tv and things that I felt I needed to be cleaning. Stuff that could totally wait LOl but I get easily distracted sometimes.
4) Which character of yours is your favorite and why?
I honestly don't have a favorite. All my characters have a special place with me. The mother Gracie is a lot like me actually. The way she talks, dresses, and even her job as a dental assistant, is all me. Lucas and Teresa are very kind, incredible people. Also, all of the people who worked with Gracie at the dental office were named after real people I work with.
5) What is the hardest challenge in being a writer?
The hardest part is getting ahead of myself. I think of the plot, then thought of the ending first. I would imagine creepy scenes and then try to figure out how to implement them in the story.
6) What gives you the most satisfaction in the writing process?
It doesn't matter to me if I get a few hundred words typed or even just a few sentences. If I look back over what I just wrote and it can make me smile, then that's really satisfying.
7) How many books do you try to read each year?
I don't have a set amount of books I try to read. I do however constantly have a book wherever I go. Sometimes I read a book very quickly, and sometimes it takes me a month to get through one. It's not because I'm not enjoying the book that is taking me a while to finish, but sometimes life gets busy.
8) Do you read books in your genre, or do you prefer reading other genres?
About 80% of the books I read are horror/mystery/thrillers. I do read other genres though. I am open to anything really.
9) In your opinion, can a book series be too long?
Absolutely not. As long as the story progresses and draws you in, it can never be too long.
10) If you had to write in any other genre, what would that be and why?
I'm currently reading a book where there's a lot of drama and romance, and I cannot put it down. I'd love to give something like that a try.
11) Villain, hero or “show steeling” side character? Which would you be?
Maybe someone in between. I would be more of a side character next to the main character. For example, the side kick, assistant, or even best friend.
12) What is your best book memory?
My best memory is my grandma reading me a story before my nap when I was little. She would watch me and my siblings some days during the summer growing up. She's always made us take a nap but would always read a book we wanted first.
13) What is the name of your book/series? Tell me a little bit about them.
My book is called The Warrior Angel. It's about Gracie who unknowingly makes a deal with a demon by the request of her mom to save the life of her son Lucas. Ten years go by, and now it's time to pay the debt to the demon. He is owed a soul. Either Gracie offers him one, or he will take Lucas. They are both being haunted and tormented now. Will the demon receive what he was owed? How far is a mother willing to go to save her son?
14) Do you have a website? If so, what is it?
I don't currently have a website but intend to make one after my second book is published.
15) Where can we find and follow you? (Name your social media platforms.)
I am on Facebook as Monique Gonzales Beasley.
I am on Instagram as @beasleymonique.
On TicTok I am @jonmonique
16) If there anything important that you would want my readers to know about you?
I am a total book worm. I have so so many books on my TBR pile, it's insane. HAHA Writing has become a new passion of mine. It opened up a whole new world and I plan on writing many many more books. I hope y'all will look for my current and future titles.